Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Same Beans


On days when my job brings me to Richmond Hill, I browse through the West Indies vegetable stores on my lunchbreak.I keep my eyes peeled for greens or any item that are not familiar to me. I also look for indigenous items that I might know from home. I would hope to see my favorite winged bean that I grew up eating stewed or  steamed. And so today I came across a kind of bean that I have never seen before. So gorgeous waiting in the box to be bought for $2.99 a pound. My heart thumped as I felt with my fingers its flatness and width and contours. I sniffed it's bean smell and my mouth easily watered. I was reminded of steamed veggies  that we ate with grilled fish, both dipped in liquid sauces that accompany our meals. Funny, it's labeled "Same Beans".  I don't get it. Same is it's name?
I scooped up a pound worth of the flat beans and asked the lady behind the register how they cook it. She said they slice them in pieces and cook them with their curry dish. I shall cook them tonight, but simply sauteed in garlic and ginger and miso.  It will be the side dish to baked chicken drumsticks and brown rice.  Finding this beautiful flat beans to me, is a serendipitous thrill.


As long as my hand  half as wide. 



2 comments: