Friday, June 8, 2012

Homegrown Salad and Foraged Smoothie

No salad is tastier than the one that's homegrown. It is comforting to know that I can eat something fresh and free of  chemicals right from my own pot garden. We've  been enjoying our sugar snap peas as well as their shoots and nasturtium flowers and leaves. The  spinach and mesclun did not do well, but it's not too late to start a new  batch.  The weird winter we had really affected the plants and perhaps I started gardening too early. 

nasturtium leaves and flowers, mesclun, baby spinach, sugar snap peas and shoots, basil, tarragon leaves and flowers and a little but of chives



Zach's favorite snack



nasturtiums are so pretty in the salad they make eating  fresh greens more fun


And for the drink, I made a smoothie of this bowl of juneberries I picked during my lunchtime at work. There were two medium-sized trees heavy with these berries right on the curb where I parked my car. I was a bit self-conscious picking these berries as the residents in the area (I am sure) think these berries are not edible for humans but are for the birds. And there I was competing with the birds.
I just picked a small  bowlful.
As I walked to one of my schools I work in, I saw two more trees right in front of the school that are laden with juneberries, also planted in the squares alloted on the curb. I thought to myself, "Nah, I can't pick these berries and risk my students seeing me doing so. I'd be embarrased."   But why shoould I be embarrased?


Zach loves eating half-frozen juneberries, so I might just have to take more courage and bring a ziploc bag back to the spot where I parked. Just ignore the missus with a head full of curlers watching me through her window.The juneberries are actually falling off the trees and getting the curb dirty. Besides, the birds seem to be ignoring the berries, I swear! 

As if the juneberry tree sighting was not enough, on my way home that afternoon, as I stopped for the red light right on Rockaway Blvd., the island that divided the road for both directions had a lush, oh so lush (!) mulberry bush heavy with ripe, long and at the same time fat mulberries and again, they are all going to the birds. (Bless them tweeters!) I was so tempted to move my car  a little closer to the curb so I could reach for a bunch...but as everyone was at a stop for this long red light...I felt self-conscious again and dared not take the attention of the long line of drivers behind me . Sigh!

Juneberries, banana and soymilk smoothie

No comments:

Post a Comment