Saturday, July 28, 2012

There is nothing like homegrown tomatoes. You always hear that from gardeners all over. Funny, I love growing tomatoes but I cannot eat them solo like my husband does. In fact, I just learned to eat tomatoes in 1995 when I first came to America, and I started with the green ones paired with shrimp paste as a side dip to eating fried fish. My (past)  aversion for tomatoes goes back to when I was a little girl. My Tatay (Dad)  used to have me drink a glass of tomato juice at dinnertime. (And there is no saying NO to him). For a season of how long, I could not remember, I dreaded dinner  because as I walked towards the table each time, the glass of tomato juice is already standing full and red by my plate, smiling at me. I am glad I got over that because now, I do not mind drinking ice-cold tomato juice, or having ripe tomatoes in my salad.
Down below is the tomato salad I made for Steve at lunch today. He polished it off in no time and gave me a thank you and a kiss.

Garden tomatoes, olives, basil, gorgonzola cheese drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Steve said this is like the very salad he ate in Greece last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment