Sunday, February 26, 2012

An Itty Bit of Spring in Wintry Poconos

Some strong winds danced among the trees surrounding Libby's house where we stayed for this schoolyear's winterbreak.[Our son  Zachary named the house after the real estate agent who helped us, thinking that was her house. So  Libby's house it is.]

The experience was both, eeriely scary and curious. The rolling winds coming and going leterally sounded like a tsunami headed our way. My thoughts stayed on one towering tree right in front of the house that swayed side to side with the wind, willing it to stay put.

In spite of our wintry winterbreak, I had a little spring growing in my kitchen.
Zachary's CHAYOTE. (Zachary loves this in chicken soup) My delay in cooking it  got  me in this situation.
I said, "Hello there CHAYOTE!" and It looked at me and gave me a nervous smile.








I inspected it and  decided to give it a chance to grow some shoots for me. Perhaps, I'll have a  feast of chayote  shoots in the summer. I will have to bring it back to Long Beach for its new lease on life. When I was in college, the house I rented with a roommate had a fence totally covered with chayote plant. It gave us quite a supply of chayote, but I particulary enjoyed harvesting the young shoots, steamed and bathed them with  vinegar and anchovies. Otherwise, they joined the vegetable stew pot.  I would love to see chayote shoots in the  Chinese market but my searching's to no avail. I'll try  growing shoots with this one.
So I situated it by the kitchen sink window (after a pictorial session) next to the flea market bottles to get some light while it waited for its next trip back to Long Beach.












an  itty-bitty promise of  spring 

No comments:

Post a Comment